With recruitment being one of the most competitive industries in South Africa, the concept of collaboration has for a long-time taken a back seat as a key driver in business success. As the industry evolves many recruiters and their providers have shifted their thinking dramatically as they understand that business cannot thrive in a silo. We are learning quicker than ever before that we are stronger together!
In a heart to heart conversation between Shirley Anderson, Head of Sales & Marketing for Placement Partner ATS and Maria Meiring, founder of Placement Share, we discuss our views on how we have seen collaboration in recruitment evolve, what it means, the value of collaboration and how to take your first steps as a recruiter to be a master collaborator.
How have we seen collaboration in the recruitment space evolve?
- The recruitment industry has matured beyond protecting and sheltering our business from the “competitor” for fear of snatching our business.
- Those that work in the recruitment industry are realising that the network we can provide is sometimes the value we offer our client or candidate.
- The value we offer through collaboration fills us with more energy and opens up even more opportunity.
Why is collaboration in business so valuable?
- Collaboration makes us valuable. Our clients are looking for more than a service or product. They want a provider who can offer knowledge and fresh insights that we generate from the network around us. Without this we are the same as everyone else and we risk being commoditized.
- Tapping into the full industry – anybody and everybody around you makes us an amazing force. We are stronger together.
What are the initial steps a recruiter can take to be a collaborator in recruitment today?
- Trust other recruiters. The service of recruiters for the most part is very high.
- Realise that you have nothing to lose
- Agree the rules upfront before there is a placement at stake
- Realise what is important – it’s about serving the candidate and client
- Resist the urge to give in to the fear
- The reward is greater than what you are giving
- It’s passive marketing and it’s really fun at the same time
What can recruiters learn from our collaboration today?
- Hopefully it’s an opportunity to be an example to the recruiters we wish to inspire
- Even as service providers we take the step to trust one another and lean into learn from another, get ideas from another and become energised through our shared passion for the customer we are passionate about
A final thought:
- Recruitment is evolving at a rapid pace. And so we can find safety and solace in those that understand that same space in an otherwise scary place.
An ATS provides you with the tools to collaborate with your clients and candidates in the most efficient way whilst working those vacancies. That leaves you with even more time to apply your mind to key strategic pillars like collaboration and the headspace to be highly creative. Email email@example.com to set up an exploratory chat.
Got a Job Spec you don’t have the right candidate for? Or a great candidate who deserves a great role you can’t provide today? Register with Placement Share and see the magic happen!
Follow Placement Partner on social media for top tips, recruitment learning content and new updates!